Trailblazer Leadership Program
Nominations are now open for the Trailblazer Leadership Development Program at Dixie State University. Please review the program details and nominate any individuals within your supervision, who meet the criteria, and who you feel make strong candidates for the program. NOMINATIONS ARE DUE APRIL 22, 2019.
The Trailblazer Leadership Development Program is an eight-month leadership curriculum designed to teach leadership principles to DSU staff and faculty to prepare them for advancement within Dixie State University.
- Provide a collaborative, educational, reflective, and meaningful leadership course for DSU staff and faculty.
- Arrange networking opportunities for participants to understand the breadth and nature of the DSU mission, vision, goals, departments, services, and strategic plan.
- Offer leadership and management training to strengthen internal candidates interested in advancement at Dixie State University.
- Create leaders, strengthen morale and relationships among DSU employees, and increase understanding across departments.
- Understand and improve personal leadership profile and management skills.
- Establish goals to increase professional influence and impact.
- Design a career path that builds relevant skill sets, channels passions, and prepares for leadership advancement.
- Strengthen personal brand.
- Bridge differences and learn to collaborate and communicate more effectively.
- Gain a deeper appreciation and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Enlist colleagues' help in achieving leadership milestones.
- Understand the depth and breadth of the overall institution.
- Receive an institutional badge in leadership.
- Planning effective meetings
- Goal setting
- DSU strategic plan and master plan
- Managing conflict
- Equity and inclusion
- Decision making
- Personality and leadership testing
- How to motivate colleagues
- Freedom of speech in higher education
- Personal branding
- Resume and cover letter creation
- Team building activities
- Job shadowing
- Department tours
- The Trailblazer Leadership Development Program is available to DSU faculty or staff who have been a full-time employee at DSU for a minimum of two years.
- Full attendance is mandatory for program participants; however, one absence is allowed for emergency situations. Additional absences will result in removal from the program.
- All program tasks that are not completed during the pre-established program times must be accomplished on the participant’s own time.
- Participants must be nominated and cohort size is limited.
- Trailblazer Leadership participants must first be nominated by a supervisor. Supervisors are defined as any personnel at a director level or above in the nominee’s direct chain of command.
- Staff and faculty are encouraged to talk with their supervisor about their interest in the program.
- Nominees are contacted by the Trailblazer Leadership Committee and asked to complete an application for the program.
- The Trailblazer Leadership Committee provides cohort applications and recommendations to the University's senior leadership team, as determined by the president. The final decisions are made by the senior leadership team.
The cohort will meet the first Friday of each month, from September, 2019 to April, 2020. The program will last the entire business day.
For questions, please contact a member of the Trailblazer Leadership Development Program Committee:
Chair: Jordon Sharp
Members: Scott Mathie, Doajo Hicks, Courtney White, Megan Church, Bruce Harris, Kristy Grayson, Del Beatty, Ali Threet & Travis Rosenberg