Roles & Responsibilities
The Policy Steering Committee (PSC)
The PSC should be made up of broad university representation from faculty, staff, students, and specialty functions. The committee coordinates policy writing, development, process and revision, and assists owners in prioritizing policies. The committee’s responsibilities include:
- Facilitating comments and suggestions from policy stakeholders.
- Representing various constituencies on campus (e.g., Student Government, Faculty Senate, Staff Association, Deans’ Council, etc.).
- Providing feedback and comments to the steward and sponsor of a policy proposal.
- Communicating their actions and provide information to the campus groups they represent.
- Facilitating the policy development and revision process.
- Ensuring compliance with Federal and State regulatory standards and laws, Board of Regents Policy, higher-education best practices, and DSU Policy Policies and Procedures..
- Reviewing editorial quality and consistency, and developing style guidelines.
- Maintaining an online policy library.
The Role of the Policy Owner
The Policy Owner(s) must be a member of the President’s Cabinet and is charged with the following:
- Prioritizing Policy Development.
- Reviewing and oversee university policies for his or her area(s) of responsibility and appoint policy stewards.
- Overseeing the development and advancement of policy proposals through the policy approval processes.
- Conducting policy research.
- Giving approval to post for public comment period (email email@example.com).
- Meeting with assigned Policy Steward & PSC to review comments and approve any modifications (notifications of meetings will be sent via email).
- Presenting new/modified policy to Academic Council & University Council.
- Presenting new/modified policy for final approval to Board of Trustees.
- Giving approval for final posting to the Official Policy Website (email firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Role of the Policy Steward
The Policy Stewards work with the Policy Owner(s) and are subject or experience experts who can assist in research and writing policy. Policy Stewards are charged with the following:
- Under Policy Owner guidance, overseeing the development of a policy draft.
- Presenting policy draft to PSC to begin approval process.
- Advancing policy through the approval stages as noted above.
- Conducting policy research.
- Working with the PSC to address questions or concerns.
- Soliciting approval from Policy Owner to submit final draft to the PSC for comment period posting.
- Helping Policy Owner facilitate approvals from Academic Council, University Council, and Board of Trustees – Policy Owner may assign Steward to present if desired.
- Provide policy management (updates/revisions) to comply with the required 5-Year cyclical review.
Legal Counsel provides legal review of all policies and advises of any legal compliance issues.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees reviews end-of-stage policy drafts and gives final approval.